The Rhode Lawyer Comes To You!

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  » What is the Rhode Island “coming and going rule”?

What is the Rhode Island “coming and going rule”?

On Behalf of | Sep 10, 2023 | Workers' Compensation

Workers’ compensation compensates workers for workplace injuries; however, there are some circumstances when worker’s compensation will not be given. The “coming and going” rule states that injuries received while coming to or leaving work are not work-related injuries, and they aren’t covered by workers’ compensation in Rhode Island. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule.

Work-related errands

If a worker is injured during a work-related errand, workers’ compensation might cover the incident. This applies even if the errand occurs before or after regular working hours.

Parking lot

Workers’ compensation might cover a parking lot injury. The parking lot must belong to the injured person’s employer. The incident can occur before or after work. Circumstances surrounding the injury determine if workers’ compensation is available.

Employees who travel

Some employees are required to travel for their jobs. For example, sales representatives, consultants, journalists, event planners and traveling healthcare workers are often on the road. Because they are required to travel, workers’ compensation might cover them in the event of an injury.

Work-from-home employees

Some employees have jobs that allow them to work from home. Although the employee is at home, they’re still officially on the job. If a work-related injury occurs at home, the employee is still possibly eligible for injury compensation.

Perform thorough research to see if your case meets the qualifications for worker’s compensation. If you find that you meet the requirements, proceed with filing your claim. Just be sure to have all your ducks in a row and have clear documentation of injuries, medical reports, medical bills and doctor’s notes. You should also provide proof of lost wages by supplying bank statements and tax returns.